UTPA GenTXers!

an open forum to answer your college questions! Join us in our discussions and meet others from the Rio Grande Valley!

active 1 day, 21 hours ago

How have you reached out and helped someone? Share your story here! (10 posts)

• rsaldanaz3 | 1 year, 3 months ago:

We want to know how & what you’ve done to help someone, whether it be with school or another achievement!

• bjgarza1 | 1 year, 3 months ago:

I’ve had a wonderful experience helping students through UTPA’s college access and support programs! I personally have reached out to students in several ways, but the most successful is giving them the motivation that they need to hear. Several of my students have told me that no one ever told them that they were awesome! or great writers, or whatever it may be! many students have touched my heart! and im here to continue making it happen!

• nvshuford | 1 year, 2 months ago:

I once pushed a very shy friend of mine to come out of his shell during a high school pep rally. For the pep rally, we were putting on a small spirit show through the drama department, and we needed a few extra people. Being one who likes to get my friends involved in stuff like this, I asked for his help and being a good friend, he said yes. It wasn’t until he found out he would literally be performing in front of the whole school that he began to regret his decision. I comforted him and did my best to calm his nerves. When the time came to perform the skit, he ran out in front of the school and exceeded all expectations for his role. That boy owned the stage! After the skit, he was so excited he almost hyperventilated. He had a lot of fun. Ever since then he’s been more confident about himself and has seldom ever been shy about anything. He is extremely charismatic and has also performed in front of a crowd a few more times since. It’s nice to see someone overcome one of their fears.

• gentx | 1 year, 2 months ago:

Great story nvshuford. It’s funny how most people fear public speaking/performance more than death itself (literally), and it’s only because they haven’t had the practice. Some people are born to perform in front of crowds, they just don’t know it! ;)