Fort Worth GenTXperts

This group is for the GenTXperts in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex to connect, discuss and share ideas.

active 3 weeks ago

deleted

Breaking The cycle (3 posts)

• teleastafford | 1 month ago:

What do you think is the most important thing we can do to break the cycle of drop outs in Texas?

• texana | 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

I think the reasons students don’t finish school are myriad, ranging from financial difficulties, lack of interest, low expectations from family members and the community at large, and a school system that doesn’t have the resources to meet all students where they stand. I’m not sure there’s any one action that will fix the problem, but I do beleive that taking local action is a good step in the right direction.

If you’re a parent, that local action has to be expecting excellence from our students, and granting them the room to achieve that excellence. It means encouraging them to be intellectually curious, to ask good questions, to research ideas, and to present information in their own wn

• texana | 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

…in their own words. I think if students aren’t armed at a very early age with the thinking tools they need to succeed, it gets harder for them to develop those tools later, as so much is competing for their attention. If parents can grant their kids the gift of curiosity and the ability to find answers to questions, that’s a good start.