- Study up on financial aid. Research the different types of financial aid available (grants, scholarships, loans, work-study). Download a copy of the GenTX Way to Pay Financial Aid Guide, and go through it with your parents. Have a conversation with them about financial aid and saving up for college.
Helpful websites: Saving for College, GenTX Way to Pay
- Download a sample FAFSA. Get a copy of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and begin reviewing it with your parents to become familiar with the questions and the information you will need to complete it your senior year.
Helpful websites: FAFSA, GenTX Way to Pay
- Talk to your family about finances. Have a conversation with your parents about the importance of filing their taxes as early as possible your senior year for FAFSA.
Helpful websites: FAFSA, GenTX Way to Pay Video Series
- Seek out scholarships. See your counselor or college adviser about scholarship opportunities. Fill out as many scholarship applications as possible, and submit them by their required deadlines.
Helpful websites: Find Scholarships, Fastweb, Cappex, Scholarships.com
- Continue saving for college. You can also prepare yourself for college life by starting to learn more about budgeting and personal financial management.
Helpful websites: 40 Money Management Tips