Join in on GenTX College Application Campaign!
This year GenTX Week is focused on a College Application Campaign, to be held November 16-20, 2015 at Texas high schools across the state. As part of the nationwide American College Application Campaign® (ACAC) initiative, the GenTX Week Application Campaign seeks to increase the number of students who are applying to college early in their senior year, with an additional focus on first-generation and low-income students as well as students who may not otherwise apply to college.
During the GenTX Application Campaign, students at participating high schools will be assisted as they complete college applications during the school day. Our goal for GenTX Week is that each participating student submit at least one college application to any of 148 public and independent institutions of higher education in Texas, or any institution of higher education they choose. Texas students will be prepared in advance to complete the college application process, and they will be able to follow-through to complete their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
There are several simple but critical steps to put into place prior to holding your school’s GenTX Week College Application event. We suggest a 12 step program at the minimum!
- Reserve the computer lab for the day you intend to hold your event.
- Communicate with students, families, school teachers, and volunteers about your event.
- Support students as they research post-secondary options that best match their skills, interests, and abilities.
- Research and provide eligible students with application fee waiver information.
- Confirm the computer facilities prior to the event.
- Create a schedule for volunteers.
- Re-inform parents about the GenTX week college application campaign using a phone tree.
- Remind teachers and administrators of the event schedule and ensure that seniors have the opportunity to participate.
- A week ahead, make sure that students have required essays or personal statements, have them proofed, in a final version, and ready to bring to the event.
- Alert local media about your event.
- Make certain that your students register for their FAFSA PIN during the College Application event.
- Submit photos, links to videos, stories, etc. to email@example.com